Skip to main content

When I'm 64

As I approach my 43rd birthday this December, I've been thinking about what life might be like in a couple of decades.  Not a mid-life crisis, there's no new convertible in my garage.  My kids will hopefully be functioning adults. I'll be contemplating retirement.  The usual stuff most people face as they age.

I'm thinking about what the hell is my digestive system going to look like when I'm 64?

(For the young readers, "When I'm 64" is a Beatles song.  The Beatles are a pioneering rock-n-roll band from the 1960s.  They're on Spotify.)

If you haven't read my blog before, I have 2 chronic digestive diseases - Crohn's disease and eosinophilic esophagitis.  Neither are great things to have, but I am fortunate to have what I'd consider relatively mild to moderate disease.  For some people these diseases are a complete shit show.  I've had 1 surgery and 1 hospital stay.

But CD and EoE are somewhat progressive.  When I'm 64, I'll have had CD for almost 40 years and EoE for about 30 years.  At 42, the EoE has caused my esophagus to produce "normal" swallows 20% of the time.  Twen-ty percent.  WTF is that?  My esophagus is already retired for all intents and purposes.  If the EoE isn't controlled, it'll continue to screw everything up until my esophagus is about as useful as a barbecue at a vegan convention.

A screen door on a submarine.

A one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.

The Kardashians.

You get the idea.

So because I'm a research nerd I fired up PubMed and looked for longitudinal (meaning, over a long period of time) study on IBD as people age.  The great news is I came up with exactly ZERO results.

There are some studies on elderly onset IBD, but I could find nothing about how IBD progresses over the lifespan.  If someone knows of anything, PLEASE @ me on the Twitter (@OPBMed).

A 2018 review (Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29563038) noted several interesting, and somewhat concerning, points. But, again, these are in people who developed IBD after age 60 who:
  • Tend to have more colonic disease
  • Overall have milder disease with rare disease progression
  • Can't tolerate the inflammation they have as well as younger patients
  • Are at high risk for adverse events from both the disease and its treatments
  • Frequently develop colon cancer within 8 years of diagnosis
  • Are wholly underrepresented in clinical trials
  • Have more infection risks when taking anti-TNF medications
  • Have more hospital-related complications when taking steroids
I also saw the mantra for treatment is "start low and go slow" in elderly onset IBD.  So what does that mean for those diagnosed at a younger age, already on biologic medications?  Generally it's not advised to go backwards in terms of treatment, but would it be once I'm 64?  One review on deescalation of IBD therapy says it is important to consider the risks of serious complications versus continuing a biologic medication in the elderly with IBD (Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24957164).

Then I went on to search PubMed for studies on EoE in the elderly and this showed up on my screen:


So I'm left wondering about what things will be when I'm 64 without much guidance from the medical world. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, and gastroenterologists are mindful of how diseases go across the lifespan.  But often disease management is very present focused, put out the fire today, get them in remission. Without this, we're less likely to age in the first place. 

There's not much worrying about this can do for me, so I'll put it on the shelf, maybe a bit in my line of sight as I work to keep my digestive system healthy. But focusing on what's enjoyable today.

--T2

Popular posts from this blog

So You Have IBD During a Pandemic

Hey! What's going on? Been pretty boring over here in Chicago. Ok I don't need to elaborate on what the hell is going on in the world. We are being bombarded with information - some accurate, a lot inaccurate - about this pandemic. It's very easy to become completely overwhelmed by it all. We've been forced, pretty damn quickly, to completely overhaul our way of life for the greater good. To reduce the strain on our healthcare system of the sick and dying. And us humans are generally bad with rapid, monumental change that we really don't have a lot of say in. Our little reptilian brains do what they're supposed to do (prime us for fight or flight or freeze) but our advanced "thinking" parts of our brain have to interject with all sorts of unhelpful thoughts, thereby sending some of us off the rails. Before we start, turn off the news. Seriously. In the days following 9-11 we found people who consumed more 24-hour news channel information were mor

Psychosocial aspects of having an ostomy

This past Saturday, Tiffany and I had the honor of speaking at the United Ostomy Associations of America's Regional Midwest conference. I was assigned the task of speaking to the patients, and Tiffany addressed the partners or caregivers. I wanted to share with you some of the highlights from my talk. I only had an hour for my session, and with about 100 people in the room, it was not nearly enough time. I love bullet points, so here you go: We are all different! Every ostomate is different and not one size fits all for the emotional/mental aspect either. Who had months to talk about an ostomy and weigh pros/cons? Who was this a more sudden decision for? Who had cancer? Who had IBD? Something else? Who had an ileostomy? colostomy? urostomy? Who has a temporary? Permanent? Multiple temporaries? What age where you when you got your ostomy? Under 20, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60+ Who was single when they got their ostomy? With a serious partner when they had it? Some find a stom

IBD & Medical Trauma

Medical trauma is such an under-recognized issue for the chronnically ill. It's a hard topic to talk about because it can seem like we are pointing fingers at healthcare workers. Maybe that's why there are only, now, 4 studies on the topic in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are someone who treats people with IBD please know I am not here to demonize or criticize. I am both a patient and a GI psychologist. I know the medical system from both sides. I know how messed up and broken it is. But ignoring this or rationalizing it away as only affecting a few folks is wrong. So let's talk about it. Post-traumatic stress (PTS) is the term we use for medical trauma due to technicalities in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTS can be less severe that full on PTSD, or it can be full on PTSD. Regardless, the symptoms are identical: Feeling hypervigilant/on-edge (increased