Skip to main content

Primal

Greetings! 

It's been a while. I'll blame COVID brain on my lack of writing over the past year. Can you believe it's been a year of this shit? And it looks like we're about to ride another wave, this time the variants B117 and P4. 

I'm not here to write about COVID. I'm here to talk about food. Specifically, the psychology of eating. There's a lot of attention being given to this idea of "ARFID" or Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, in patients with chronic digestive disease. This is a psychiatric diagnosis conceptualized mostly for children with sensory issues or similar concerns. The main questionnaire used to assess ARFID, the Nine Item ARFID Scale (NIAS), is only validated in children

While I absolutely agree there are adults with chronic digestive disease who meet the criteria for ARFID, this whole thing makes me a bit twitchy. Here's why.

First: Did you ever drink too much tequila and puke and maybe have one of the worst hangovers of your life? And the thought of drinking tequila made you gag a little for the next 2 years?

Or have you ever eaten out at a restaurant and get food poisoning and decree you'll never eat [insert food that made you sick] again because you can't even look at it?

When I was pregnant both times, I had nausea for the entire first and part of the second trimester. I also had an intense food aversion to seafood. Maybe you've experienced that. 

 
About a week ago, I experienced a bad food impaction from, I assume, my eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) becoming unhappy after being well controlled for a few years now. I want to say it came out of nowhere, but if I think about it I did have a bit of an uptick in dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) in the prior month but nothing alarming. The only thing I can guess is causing it is I went back to vegetarianism in the past few weeks and that means I'm eating more legumes. While not specifically identified as a trigger food for my EoE, they were prime suspects because soy and peanuts are problematic. 

I won't know what exactly is going on until June 9th, when I have an upper endoscopy, something called an EndoFLIP, and an esophageal manometry. It's as fun as it sounds. Better? It's being done by my boss. Granted he's the esophagus expert guy, and we've done this once before around 3 years ago, but it's still a little weird. 

In the meantime, every day I experience some degree of food impaction. Nothing like the one I mentioned earlier, where I had to make myself throw up some of the delicious salad that was just sitting there like a hairball in a clogged drain. But enough to feel it, to make my esophagus a bit sore, and to nuke my appetite.

The thing is, our brain is hard wired to make us feel ill if it thinks we're eating foods that will make us sick, or worse, kill us. This is a primal reflex, deeply seated in our reptilian brain and connected to the nausea and vomiting centers in the medulla oblongata. There's nothing conscious about this.

Now, while an esophageal food impaction that won't pass is a medical emergency, I'm not at major risk of dying from the food I'm eating. I'm also not worried because I understand what's going on, and I know worry won't help. I'm not afraid of food, per say. I'm just not interested any more. Which, by any standards, isn't a good reaction. 

I'll feel hungry a few times during the day, but it can pass quickly or be replaced by nausea. A phenomena I learned from a very wise dietitian that is common. Some meals are ok, things go down without much incident. Then other times it sits there again, causing a discomfort that I can only describe as feeling like you need to let out an enormous burp and you can't. After 10...15...sometimes 30 minutes it passes. But its effects are I stop eating whatever I was enjoying just moments before. And my mind goes to a deadpan "Great." When I drink water you can literally hear it gurgling down. It provides some entertainment for my husband and I, at least.

My digestive system
 
As of today, I have very little interest in food. I'm down only around 5 pounds so far and thanks to the pandemic, I have more wiggle room than I normally would. I am fundamentally aware of what's happening, not anxious, not afraid, yet my brain is saying "ya know, we can just skip that eating thing for a bit." 

My primal instinct around the threat of food has kicked in and is generalized versus specific to tequila or a bad piece of seafood. And it's very hard to overcome that. 

Is this ARFID? No. Does the current assessment of ARFID in adults with digestive disease take this into account? Not really. Should it? Absolutely.

Popular posts from this blog

So You Have IBD During a Pandemic

Hey! What's going on? Been pretty boring over here in Chicago. Ok I don't need to elaborate on what the hell is going on in the world. We are being bombarded with information - some accurate, a lot inaccurate - about this pandemic. It's very easy to become completely overwhelmed by it all. We've been forced, pretty damn quickly, to completely overhaul our way of life for the greater good. To reduce the strain on our healthcare system of the sick and dying. And us humans are generally bad with rapid, monumental change that we really don't have a lot of say in. Our little reptilian brains do what they're supposed to do (prime us for fight or flight or freeze) but our advanced "thinking" parts of our brain have to interject with all sorts of unhelpful thoughts, thereby sending some of us off the rails. Before we start, turn off the news. Seriously. In the days following 9-11 we found people who consumed more 24-hour news channel information were mor

Psychosocial aspects of having an ostomy

This past Saturday, Tiffany and I had the honor of speaking at the United Ostomy Associations of America's Regional Midwest conference. I was assigned the task of speaking to the patients, and Tiffany addressed the partners or caregivers. I wanted to share with you some of the highlights from my talk. I only had an hour for my session, and with about 100 people in the room, it was not nearly enough time. I love bullet points, so here you go: We are all different! Every ostomate is different and not one size fits all for the emotional/mental aspect either. Who had months to talk about an ostomy and weigh pros/cons? Who was this a more sudden decision for? Who had cancer? Who had IBD? Something else? Who had an ileostomy? colostomy? urostomy? Who has a temporary? Permanent? Multiple temporaries? What age where you when you got your ostomy? Under 20, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60+ Who was single when they got their ostomy? With a serious partner when they had it? Some find a stom

IBD & Medical Trauma

Medical trauma is such an under-recognized issue for the chronnically ill. It's a hard topic to talk about because it can seem like we are pointing fingers at healthcare workers. Maybe that's why there are only, now, 4 studies on the topic in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are someone who treats people with IBD please know I am not here to demonize or criticize. I am both a patient and a GI psychologist. I know the medical system from both sides. I know how messed up and broken it is. But ignoring this or rationalizing it away as only affecting a few folks is wrong. So let's talk about it. Post-traumatic stress (PTS) is the term we use for medical trauma due to technicalities in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTS can be less severe that full on PTSD, or it can be full on PTSD. Regardless, the symptoms are identical: Feeling hypervigilant/on-edge (increased