Skip to main content

That Time I Became Allergic to Benadryl

Hey, what's up?  Enjoying your summer?  It's been a pendulum swing between 98 degrees with 6000% humidity and 65 and raining here in Chicagoland. Climate change?  What?  Nah.

Today I'm going to change gears from my usual digestive system talk and move on over to a different thing - allergy.  In my repertoire of medical doctors is an allergist/immunologist, whom I was sent to when my gastroenterologist suspected I had eosinophilic esophagitis. 

Spoiler:  I do.

A very recent study, like last month recent, suggests that EoE is a "late manifestation of the atopic march."  The atopic march?  When did that become a thing and why does it sound kinda ominous, especially given today's political climate?

Thankfully it's simply the tendency for a person who develops some sort of an allergy to go on and develop other allergic conditions as they age.  Like a fine wine.  Typically this starts with eczema as a baby, which I have no idea if I had.  I don't think I did, but my brother had eczema as a baby so I'm sure I'm somehow guilty by association.  I did, however, develop hay fever as a kid, then an allergy to cats as a teenager, which eventually evolved into adult onset asthma in my 20s.  

The right breed of cat can send me into a serious wheeze today. 

Around the time I figured out I was allergic to cats I underwent skin prick testing for other allergens. I'm allergic to trees. And grass. And mold. And dust mites. Earth. I'm basically allergic to Earth.  Thankfully, prescription grade antihistamines became more accessible when they received the OK from the FDA to be sold OTC. And I cruised into my 30s on periodic zyrtec or allegra.

In 2013 I got pregnant with my my first, and I also got a rash on my foot.  I assumed it was fungal because what the hell else could it be?  It would flare up from time to time and I applied anti-fungal creams like it was my job for years.  Literally, years.

It was not fungal.

About a year before the EoE stuff started, and 5 years into my "it's gotta be fungal" foot rash, I brought it up to my gastroenterologist as a possible side effect to my Crohn's medications.  Certain medications, anti-TNF drugs to be exact, can cause psoriasis.  Which is funny because they're also used to treat psoriasis.  It goes to show you the human body will fuck with you at every opportunity.  She referred me to a dermatologist who ruled out the fungal infection and gave me a generic diagnosis of eczema and prescribed me a topical steroid cream to be used as needed.  Cool.

Except the rash didn't really go away.  And it seemed to be getting worse.  Let me break this rash down for a second.  It's itchy AF. Like you want to take a belt sander to your skin level of itching.  Put that on your foot.  I should add this was only affecting my right foot, which confused everybody. Again, body fucking with you.  The problem is, itching this rash makes it worse because it breaks the little blister thingies (technical term) and makes the skin raw and, subsequently, more pissed off.

I WILL ITCH YOU!
But really, picture the most intense itch you've ever experienced and multiple it by 50.

After my second kid was born, so now 8 years into the rash, I heard about a good dermatologist and went to see her for a second opinion.  At first she said she thought it was fungal.  Clearly she hadn't gotten the memo.  But a skin biopsy revealed a massive eosinophilic infiltration to the skin, along with other stuff that indicated an allergic response.  I went on to get patch testing and 3 allergens were found:  shellac, a disperse blue dye, and sorbitan sesquioleate.

Sorbitan sesquioleate is one of the main ingredients in the steroid cream I'd been using for years.  Disperse blue dye is often used in blue and black fabrics, so most of my shoes and socks were offending to my foot.  Shellac is in nail polish.  Essentially my foot was being attacked from all angles by an army of allergens.  The solution?  Simply avoid any possible exposure to these 3 things.

Anyone know where you can find the ingredients list for shoes?  Yeah, me neither.  Assuming a wardrobe of white socks and shoes that don't have any blue, colors made with blue, or black has helped.  I also received a prescription for a tacrolimus ointment to bypass the steroid cream issue.  Sorbitan sesquioleate is actually in most lotions, so that's cool.

I decided to try a topical benadryl gel we had lying around for bug bites on the small people in my house as it advertises right on the label it's superior anti-itch properties.  Plus, benadryl!  Allergy!  Win!  And man did it work.  Cleared that shit right up. It became part of my nightly regimen to keep the foot happy and offset any possible allergen exposures during the day, because let's be real I'm never going to figure out the shoe/sock thing 100% of the time.

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed the rash has returned and isn't responding as it once did to the mighty benadryl gel.  It crossed my mind a while ago "What if you get an allergy to the benadryl?" which I promptly shooed out of my brain because how can anyone become allergic to the drug everyone takes when they have an allergic reaction?  Seriously, brain, you go too far.

But my researcher brain decided to investigate. I started with Dr. Wikipedia which listed the most common sources of allergic contact dermatitis.  

"Topical anesthetics – such as pramoxine or diphenhydramine, after prolonged use." There are a handful of studies on Pubmed on the topic as well, so Dr. Wikipedia is vindicated.

Diphenhydarmine is the primary ingredient in benadryl gel.

I'm allergic to benadryl.

Ok, I'm not 100% sure and will test it out by eliminating the gel from my regimen, then trying it again to see if I react.  But the odds seem high.  I went on to look up allergy to tacrolimus and that's a thing, too.  I feel like it's only a matter of time and prolonged use of that treatment until my foot says, nah, you're done.

These allergies never reverse themselves.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. So I wrote a long blog instead. Thanks for reading.

--Dr. T2

Popular posts from this blog

So You Have IBD During a Pandemic

Hey! What's going on? Been pretty boring over here in Chicago. Ok I don't need to elaborate on what the hell is going on in the world. We are being bombarded with information - some accurate, a lot inaccurate - about this pandemic. It's very easy to become completely overwhelmed by it all. We've been forced, pretty damn quickly, to completely overhaul our way of life for the greater good. To reduce the strain on our healthcare system of the sick and dying. And us humans are generally bad with rapid, monumental change that we really don't have a lot of say in. Our little reptilian brains do what they're supposed to do (prime us for fight or flight or freeze) but our advanced "thinking" parts of our brain have to interject with all sorts of unhelpful thoughts, thereby sending some of us off the rails. Before we start, turn off the news. Seriously. In the days following 9-11 we found people who consumed more 24-hour news channel information were mor

Psychosocial aspects of having an ostomy

This past Saturday, Tiffany and I had the honor of speaking at the United Ostomy Associations of America's Regional Midwest conference. I was assigned the task of speaking to the patients, and Tiffany addressed the partners or caregivers. I wanted to share with you some of the highlights from my talk. I only had an hour for my session, and with about 100 people in the room, it was not nearly enough time. I love bullet points, so here you go: We are all different! Every ostomate is different and not one size fits all for the emotional/mental aspect either. Who had months to talk about an ostomy and weigh pros/cons? Who was this a more sudden decision for? Who had cancer? Who had IBD? Something else? Who had an ileostomy? colostomy? urostomy? Who has a temporary? Permanent? Multiple temporaries? What age where you when you got your ostomy? Under 20, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60+ Who was single when they got their ostomy? With a serious partner when they had it? Some find a stom

IBD & Medical Trauma

Medical trauma is such an under-recognized issue for the chronnically ill. It's a hard topic to talk about because it can seem like we are pointing fingers at healthcare workers. Maybe that's why there are only, now, 4 studies on the topic in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If you are someone who treats people with IBD please know I am not here to demonize or criticize. I am both a patient and a GI psychologist. I know the medical system from both sides. I know how messed up and broken it is. But ignoring this or rationalizing it away as only affecting a few folks is wrong. So let's talk about it. Post-traumatic stress (PTS) is the term we use for medical trauma due to technicalities in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTS can be less severe that full on PTSD, or it can be full on PTSD. Regardless, the symptoms are identical: Feeling hypervigilant/on-edge (increased